Sunday, July 18, 2010

Church

What is the church, but a community of believers gathered for worship, fellowship, and prayer?

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
- Hebrews 10:25

My family and I attended a church today in our new area. We had attended the church's more traditional service two weeks ago, so today we went to the more contemporary service. Despite the fact that the people were different, the building was shaped and situated differently, and the styles of preaching and singing were different than my old church - I really began to see a great similarity.
You see, all true Christians worship the same God. As the leader of the band strummed the tune to "Oh Happy Day" on his guitar, the female singer worshipfully sang, "Hosanna, Hosanna" and the drummer went crazy to "Let God Arise", I realized that Christians everywhere, no matter what they wear or sing or where they go or who they're with, praise and honor the same God on Sunday morning. They have something in common - their Savior.
Towards the end of the service, a softer song was played, one I hadn't heard before. It was beautiful, and I realized that I don't always have to sing the same songs to praise my Lord. I can "sing a new song to you, O God" (Psalm 144:9). There are so many beautiful worship songs out there and I don't have to get stuck in a spiritual rut and hear the same messages and sing the same songs every Sunday. God is big and great and multi-faceted and supreme and the supplier of all we need. We need to worship him in many ways with different songs and different words and varied and multiple acts of service and generosity.

My move to this new area and the chance to visit another church has taught me that we all serve the same God. And that there are so many different ways to worship him through song, actions, and more. Don't neglect the beauty of God in your life. Worship him.

No comments:

Post a Comment