Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shaping My Emotions

This semester, I'm taking a class at college called "Foundations of Spiritual Formation", which introduces the student to the concept of Spiritual Formation, spiritual disciplines, and growth in the Christian life.
The first thing I learned in this class was that Spiritual Formation is a process of being conformed to the image of Christ for the sake of others. It's what we mean when we talk about imitating Christ, becoming more like Christ, and being sanctified. It's a continual, nonlinear, ongoing process whereby God points out things in our lives that don't conform to Christ and works with us to turn those into Christlike things. These "things" may be specific sins, like cheating or lying, but often they are certain attitudes or behaviors.
For example, in Romans 12:2, Paul says that God can transform the way we think ("renewing of your mind") and in 2nd Corinthians 10:5, Paul explains that thoughts and emotions should also be part of our obedience to Christ. In The Message paraphrase, 2nd Corinthians 10:5 says, "[We use God's mighty weapons for] fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ."

I don't particularly like this verse. Because it seems that my emotions are something I cannot control and therefore it should not be wrong to have any number of various emotions, some of which may not be in line with Godliness. However, if I am being shaped and molded to look like Christ, my emotions, feelings, thoughts, and desires are essential parts to who I am and also need to look like Christ. It will take a long time, basically my entire lifetime, to reach my goal, which is to imitate Christ in all I do, but I still need to strive for Godliness and Christlikeness.
Let me give you an example. I have met a lot of new people and I have often had the chance to determine if I like them or not, to put it simply. I will subconsciously analyze their body language, how interested or distracted they are, or how loyal and kind they seem. This is all normal, and everyone does it to some extent. It's called first impressions. However, the problem comes the next week when I see that girl I met last Tuesday ignoring me. In my mind, I know she has other friends and she probably just didn't see me, but my emotions start going crazy with anger and frustration. Or I'll meet a guy and my first impression will be that he's nice and friendly and attractive, and no matter how innocent and pure my intentions were, if I see him later with his beautiful, popular girlfriend, I will get all jealous and emotional.

Emotions are normal. But my goal is to look more like Christ. So when I first experience that strong emotion, I should stop dwelling on it and start dwelling on Christ. I should think about what is pure and lovely and right, not about how to get back at that guy and his popular girlfriend.
One way to look at it is that God has given us emotions as a way to experience him. While emotions are not always a clear indicator of our spiritual journey, they are a way to perceive Christ (when taken with truth). So, rejoice that you can feel God's presence! And don't let your emotions get in the way of God's truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment