Monday, May 10, 2010

It's not the places you go...

...but the people you know who make life worth it.

A girl who I know through a mutual organization, thought not personally, got married on Friday, which was also her birthday. She's my age, a high school senior. I looked at her wedding pictures, her gorgeous dress, her lovely cake, and the smiling face of her now-husband as he walked her to his car, and I wondered if I could get married my senior year of high school. I don't know this girl's situation firsthand, so I can't explain her early marriage.

After her 18th birthday in November, my grandmother married my grandfather in January 1965. She completed her last four months of high school as a married woman, living with my grandfather and his family to escape the abuse of her often drunk stepfather.

What about me? I mean, yeah, if I loved the guy and all, but really, I've got my whole life ahead of me! It really gets you thinking, though, about what would happen if things went differently. I really don't feel ready for a marriage yet. I barely know who I am, not to mention taking care of a husband and learning who he is. And, of course, with a husband comes children...!

Sometimes I'm glad I've never had a boyfriend in high school. One less thing to stress over and one more reason to wait a while before committing to anything. But there's always college! And there's plenty of time to get married in the future.
I'll wait on God's timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment