Monday, February 7, 2011

Too Many Burdens

Have you heard someone talk about a burden they had for someone? A desire that a non-Believer meet Jesus or that a strayed Christian would return to the Faith?
It is wonderful that fellow Christians would be so concerned about not only each other, but also about friends and family members who don't know the Lord. It's often a very genuine, honest, God-honoring concern.
But sometimes we fall into the trap of taking the word "burden" a little too seriously. You see, God has not created us to bear the whole weight of one person's salvation upon ourselves. We were not made to be responsible for leading people through every step and realization of coming to Christ or even coming back to Christ. Granted, God may be using you, even right now, to do something amazing in a life of someone near you. But it is not your sole responsibility to draw them into Christ. That is the Holy Spirit's job.

Likewise, I often find myself carrying too many burdens. Last week, I found a guy I attended middle school with on Facebook through one of those "mutual friends" things. He had a skimpily dressed girlfriend and several of his pictures included alcoholic beverages. Knowing that this kid is no older than me, I was obviously offended and asked God how this could happen. I became concerned about his apparent wandering from Christianity. And suddenly I was carrying a burden. Another burden to my list.
I'm carrying similar burdens concerned about the salvation and hearts of members of my stepfamilies as well as friends, families of friends, and others who don't know the Lord. In addition, my heart is burdened with thoughts and worries about friends and acquaintances who have seemingly abandoned God. More burdens.

And yes, as a Christian, I am to carry the burdens of my fellow believers (Galatians 6:2). I am to mourn when they mourn, laugh when they laugh, and care about what they are concerned about. However, there is a line between genuinely caring and becoming a nervous wreck.
When things come up, like a friend whose heart is the wrong place, or someone shares a prayer request for an unsaved family member, I urge you to care. I urge you to pray alongside and support them however you can.
And then, this is the hard part, give it God. Stop trying to convert your atheist friend on your own agenda in your own power. Let go. Give it up. Allow God to use you to do his work; don't force your plan on his purposes. Let go of the burdens you're carrying and obey the Holy Spirit's voice.


Now I will take the load from your shoulders; I will free your hands from their heavy tasks. You cried to me in trouble, and I saved you; I answered out of the thundercloud and tested your faith when there was no water at Meribah.
Psalm 81:6-7


Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:29

No comments:

Post a Comment