Sunday, April 1, 2012

Like Raindrops and Waterfalls

I love acoustic worship. So when I heard that this morning’s worship at my church was all acoustic, organized by one of my friends, I was really excited. There was a cello, an acoustic guitar, and a Cajon (a square drum you sit on), as well as a couple singers. Wow is the best word to describe how great it was.

When the third and next to last song began, I realized I recognized it. I listened for a minute and then opened my eyes to read the lyrics on the screen. Oh, yes. I knew this song because a good friend had introduced me to the artist through a couple concert invitations and a ministry we were a part of. I say this in the past tense because there was an issue in the friendship that eventually caused its end. On a good note, forgiveness has been given and received, although things can never be the way they were before.

I liken this situation to a dating relationship that ended in a break up because whenever I was reminded of what happened with this friend, I got angry. Someone would say something my friend would say, and I would be upset. Or I would go to a restaurant or hear a song or remember something funny about the friendship and it be pretty unfortunate for my emotions. It felt like a bad break up, even though I've never dated before.

I would add that eventually people get over break-ups. Yeah, eat some ice cream and cry about it and pray about it, but soon you’re going to move on and be a better person because of it. I want to share something I’ve learned recently.

Healing comes like raindrops and waterfalls. 

Sometimes, healing is like little raindrops. For me, I learned how to say “Hi” to someone who hurt me. It was tiny, but it was healing. Also, I learned how to ask for help when I was struggling with things like temptation. Sending one quick text message, while it may feel huge, is just a raindrop of healing.

Healing also comes like waterfalls. When I realized what song was being played this morning, I was not upset about remembering my friend. In fact, I began to make a new “memory” with the song, if you will. Now, when I hear it, I am no longer thinking of the concert I did not attend, I am thinking of an acoustic worship set in the sanctuary in my church home. Even more than that, I am thinking of the beautiful God who loves me.

But remember this: Healing Comes. God will never leave us in the mess in which we find ourselves. He is patient, He is good, and He will restore us.

On Wednesday night, I got to share one of the deepest parts of my testimony with a large group of girls in my dorm as part of a testimony night we have once a month. It was so awesome that once we got started, I was not nervous at all. And then when I spoke, it went so well, and I did not stutter like I usually do when speaking before people. In the past, this has been a sign that God was really speaking though me, which was so encouraging. So many girls came up to me afterwards and thanked me for sharing. A couple of them have wanted to talk recently. This healing is like a waterfall. Strong and persistent; beautiful and cleansing.

Francis Frangipane once said, “Rescue is the constant pattern of God's activity.” So beautiful.

Oh, and the song we sang today in church? Phil Wickham’s “Beautiful”
Enjoy.



I see Your face in every sunrise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say
You’re beautiful

I see Your power in the moonlit night
Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright
We are amazed in the light of the stars
It’s all proclaiming who You are
You’re beautiful, You're beautiful

I see you there hanging on a tree
You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me
Now you are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You’re beautiful, you're beautiful

When we arrive at eternity’s shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We’ll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we’ll sing
You’re beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful

I see Your face, You're beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment