Friday, September 23, 2011

"Why Are You Nice?"

This past Wednesday, a friend and I were pushing swings, catching kids at the bottom of the slide, and carrying on conversations with little ones before children's church started. I found myself at the top of the slide with a little girl behind me. As I picked her up so she could slide down on my lap, an eight year old boy behind us asked, "Why are the college kids always so nice?"

My heart broke for him. I wanted to sit him down and look into those green eyes of his and tell him how Jesus saved me. I wanted to pour out my joy upon this little kid, investing God's love into him. I wanted to captivate his attention with the story of how I came to know Christ and how Christ is changing me. I wanted to be a vessel through which God could shine down his love upon this child.

It was time to go inside for church. So I simply smiled at this eight year boy and told him we'd talk later. How I long for an opportunity to do just that!

Because I believe that question was his way of sending a little questioning probe into Christianity, into the possibility of a relationship with Christ. It's the same as an adult asking her Christian colleague, "Why are you so peaceful despite all the work you have to do?" Or the guy knee-deep in partying asking his Christian roommate, "Why don't you come party with us?" Or the grandma in the airplane beside a young missionary asking, "Where do you get this strength to go on long-term mission trips?" I believe that little boy was asking where we got our joy and where we tapped into the love we often unknowingly pour upon those kids.

I missed the opportunity to share with him this past week, but I'm counting on it again. God is opening doors to share his heart with broken people... Even eight year old boys.
There is hope, there is hope, there is hope
But everyone who’s lost will be coming home
And everything that hurts will be whole again
And love will be the last thing standing
"Love Wins," Robbie Seay Band

No comments:

Post a Comment